Epitome
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Epitome

- an eTO Fantasia guild -

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is it A-OK to download bootleg music/movies?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
qiaohui

qiaohui

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Is it A-OK to download bootleg music/movies? Empty
PostSubject: Is it A-OK to download bootleg music/movies?   Is it A-OK to download bootleg music/movies? Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 12:31 am

Just a thought to spice up the Movies & Music section of the forum.
Is it moral to get bootlegged copies of anything?

Honestly, I find myself kind of guilty, with peer-to-peer networking programs and .torrents of a few movies.
There's of course the fact that the persons whom you're taking the material from aren't getting paid....

However, on the other hand, they are getting free publicity and maybe - just maybe - the self satisfaction of knowing that their work is being enjoyed by millions, and that's what matters, not the amount of coin one rakes in, so to speak.

Doesn't really seem that way sometimes, does it?

Quote :
Here's something for your brain to chew on at the moment:
"Shouldn't you worry if they weren't downloading your movie or song?"

What do you guys think about all this?
Back to top Go down
http://i-heart-toasty.co.nr/
Losti
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Losti

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2007-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Is it A-OK to download bootleg music/movies?   Is it A-OK to download bootleg music/movies? Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 5:25 am

There's two sides to it.
On one hand, people like me download music and movies because they're just too expensive. I'm always broke as it is, buying that stuff wouldn't work XD
But on the other hand, the industries keep saying they're so expensive BECAUSE not enough people buy them. =/

On another note, I don't feel guilty anymore. All I worry about nowadays is not getting caught and having to pay thousands of Euros (which is ridiculous as well, in my opinion).

Oh, and about the quote. Somehow I get the feeling most of them care more about getting money than people enjoying what they made. As with most people today. <_< (now that makes me think of greedy Ntreev again...oh well D: )
Back to top Go down
https://epitome.forumieren.com

PostSubject: Re: Is it A-OK to download bootleg music/movies?   Is it A-OK to download bootleg music/movies? Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 9:59 pm

*points to over 30Gb of .torrents, music, p2p dl'd things*

I gave up on caring a long time ago, its not that big of a deal to me. Yeah, I worry about getting caught becuase in the USA, not only do you have to "repay" all the companies you "stole" from, but you get trial by jury, whch has the pwer to sentence you to prison for YEARS.

Anyways, i do not understand why people care so much about ileagally downloading stuff on the internet, becuase folks have been bootlegging things FOREVER. My grandpa has 4 cabinets JAM PACKED with VCR tapes, all "illegally recorded" from TV. My own mother has a colelction of cassette tapes, full of songs she "illegally recorded" at concerts and off the radio.

Maybe it just runs in the family, lol.
Back to top Go down
qiaohui

qiaohui

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Is it A-OK to download bootleg music/movies?   Is it A-OK to download bootleg music/movies? Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 12:40 am

Y'know, I've never seen those sides in light before.
I'm just ashamed of the greed seen today over pieces of [would be] self-expression. It all gives off an empty aura: pop music, movies... trapped in a sea of endless money-grubbers willing to milk your imagination.

ay, ay.

Just a thought: Kasarr, you had an interesting point...
Quote :
Maybe it just runs in the family
...could criminal behaviour be genetic or influenced by one's environment?
Back to top Go down
http://i-heart-toasty.co.nr/

PostSubject: Re: Is it A-OK to download bootleg music/movies?   Is it A-OK to download bootleg music/movies? Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 4:08 am

Definately influenced by one's environment. The city I live in is VERY, VERY racially, politically, monitarily and socailly diverse. I know lots of people who are simply products of thier envoronment, be it the ghetto/slums or the high class side of town.

idk how to explain it, I've got no examples to back up my theory >.<
Back to top Go down

Is it A-OK to download bootleg music/movies?
Page 1 of 1